Saturday, May 5, 2012

Module 2: Little House in the Big Woods

Book Summary:

Laura is a little girl growing up on a homestead on the edge of the Big Woods. Her father (Pa) must hunt for there food and face danger because of hungry wild animals. The family has little traditions and ceremonies that must be carried out daily so the family can survive. One family ceremony revolves around Pa cleaning the long rifle every night and loading it so it is ready for use. There is also the sugar snow and harvest times. It can be a scary place to grow up, but Laura is more fascinated then scared, especially when her Ma slaps a bear.

APA Reference:

Wilder, L.I. (1981).  Little house in the big woods. New York, NY: Harper Trophy.

My Impressions:

I was always a fan of the television show growing up so I jumped at the chance to read this book with the excuse, "It's for school." I soon learned that I did not need an excuse. Wilder paints a picture in your mind with her words. I found myself no longer picturing the television actors but characters from my own imagination. I read the book in two hours and was so engrossed I almost missed dinner. They way Pa teachers the girls life lessons by hiding them in entertaining stories made me wish for simpler times. He tells them about things he himself did wrong at their age (like not bringing the cows in from the woods on time) and how he learned from it so that they do not make that mistake. I laughed because I do the same with my son. I enjoyed the family ceremonies and celebrations. Christmas was a very special time for the family to gather and spend time together. I found myself making connections to my own families little ceremonies and celebrations. This book gave a wonderful glimpse into the past, not just the good times but also the danger and worries that pioneer families faced.

Professional Review:

Wilder's classic autobiographical series about growing up in a pioneer family in the late 1800s makes its audio debut in the very capable hands of stage actress Cherry Jones. This first installment introduces the Ingalls family living in the seemingly endless wild woods of Wisconsin prior to their eventual move west (to Kansas and later Missouri). Tennessee-born Jones brings a subtle (never hokey) homespun sound and comfortable pace to her reading; listeners may well imagine gathering in front of the fireplace or around a campfire for one of her storytelling sessions. But what Jones does best here is use her voice to sustain an appropriate childlike point of view. Her performance invites listeners to join in Laura's adventures and see things as she does, even though the books are written in the third person. (With this approach, for example, Jones livens up the occasional descriptive passages that can be slow going for some readers of the novel.) Award-winning fiddler Paul Woodiel provides lively interludes of "Pa's fiddle music," a joyful sound that was purportedly a staple of the Ingalls home. Ages 8-up.  

Reviews (2003, May 12). [Review of the book Little House in the Big Woods, by Laura Ingalls Wilder]. Publishers Weekly, 250(19), 30.

Library Uses:

I would use this book as an introduction to a pioneer life history project. I would have students read different pioneer time books and write about the true history they find. Then display the writing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment